Monday, September 17, 2007

Proper Writing Utensils

I am still working at the Learning Center. Today, one of my middle school students brought in her math homework so that I could check to see that she was indeed doing the problems correctly. I noticed that her homework was being done in pen and inquired to her about it. This girl's math teacher told her that she must complete all homework in blue or black ink.

Needless to say, I was stunned and had a difficult time stating a polite response. It is wrong of teachers to have students complete homework, especially math homework, in pen. This implants the idea to students that they must be perfect and there is no room for error. Homework is the time to practice the new concepts learnt in the classroom. It is the time to make mistakes; after all mistakes are an important part of the learning process. Therefore, homework needs to be written so it can be refined, so it can be erased!

Attention, everyone! There is this new-fangled tool that is great for homework. It is made of graphite and comes in a variety of styles (I prefer mechanical or natural wood). It is cheap. The best part, it erases. Three cheers for the pencil!

1 comment:

Consecutive Odds said...

No joke! Many a time I wish I did my Sudoku in lead... alas, I never learn.